Friday, September 4, 2009

Oak Creek Canyon


Between Flagstaff and Sedona there's a magical place called Oak Creek Canyon; the creek flows through a land of red rocks and limestone cliffs. Hawks soar overhead, ravens caw from huge cottonwoods, pines, oaks and sycamores. Come for a stroll through a meadow dotted with apple trees...



a forest of tall pines...



stop by the creek...



see golden rocks in under the trees...



limestone cliffs...



and big red rocks...



lots of big red rocks...


and a misty evening farewell from Coffee Pot Rock!
Soon the fall colours will fill the canyon and it'll be time for another visit.

3 comments:

Sea Witch said...

I'm homesick. I lived in Flag for about 6 years and would heed the call of "red rock fever" often. Spent many hot days in the cool waters of Oak Creek Canyon with my sons when they were younger and of course the family dogs. Arizona is one of my favorite state to live in an to visit. Sea Witch

Unknown said...

I'm sorry I can't post the scent - piney woods, camp fires and that particular creek aroma of water and sycamore trees. And of course - the state smell - skunk! I'm so used to skunky dogs I don't even mind it.

Karen Valentine said...

Hi Gypsy! Thanks for coming by and leaving me such a nice message. And thanks for posting picks of Oak Creek. I haven't been up there in quite a while and I really miss it. I was kinda bummed last time we were passing through because I found out you have to get a permit to park on the side of the road and climb down into the canyon now. That really puts a damper on spontaneity! Oh well, the drive is always gorgeous!

Karen
My Desert Cottage